Your writing only succeeds if the audience you’re writing for understands the message you’re trying to share. But as academics, we often become so close to our research, and so familiar with our topics, that we lose sight of this fact.
One of the best ways to gain perspective — and identify if you are communicating the information you want to share effectively — is to talk through your work with an outside reader. After all, writing is a social communication tool! Individual coaching sessions provide an opportunity to discuss any aspect of your work-in-progress, from brainstorming to responding to reviewers’ comments.
In individual coaching, I meet with you online for “live” consultations. These consultations are based in writing centre pedagogy: they are teaching focused rather than editing focused. My goal is to equip you with skills, strategies and tools that will enable you to meet your writing goals independently.
Each session is tailored specifically to your current needs and the project you are working on. You set the agenda and the goals for your consultations.
Common consultation topics:
- Writing Productivity: project management and strategizing, goal setting and accountability, or sustaining motivation and momentum for a large project like a dissertation or a book manuscript
- Structure and Organization: Outlining, paragraph development, strategies for revision and restructuring
- Sentence-Level Revision: making your sentences more concise, compelling, and coherent
- Submitting for Publication: Identifying a target journal, interpreting and responding to editors’ and reviewers’ feedback, developing a revision plan
Individual coaching packages cost $250.00 CAD and consist of the following components:
- a pre-consultation questionnaire so that I can learn more about you, your work, and your goals
- an initial 45-minute consultation
- two 45-minute follow-up consultations. Between consultations, you will attempt to apply the strategies and tools we discussed
- emailed consultation summaries that include next steps and links to the resources and tools we discussed
- reading up to 15 pages of your work-in-progress
Get in touch to discuss working together or to set up an initial consultation!